RT Cunningham

This Website is now a Pure AMP Website but it isn’t any Faster

Google AMP Way back in September of last year, I said “don’t bother” with AMP (accelerated mobile pages) if you have a regular website. The project has come a long way since then.

When I finished making all the necessary changes to my theme last night, the page source validated on the first try. The last time, it took me a few hours.

No AMP Issues this Time

This is the second time I designed this website as pure AMP for both mobile and desktop. The last time, I couldn’t get the sidebar module to work correctly. Of course, I wasn’t enthusiastic enough at the time to keep trying.

There are still a few items I have to fix. Even though the pages involved still validate, they don’t display correctly.

AMP isn’t Faster for this Website

In fact, some items load slower than they did before. Or at least, they seem that way. Although the JavaScript assets load asynchronously, they load right after everything else.

When things like YouTube videos and Facebook comments are placed behind buttons to load them, the initial page load seems almost instantaneous. I can’t do that with AMP.

Regardless of what I can do now, the old version of this website was faster than the current version. The only advantage is that Google will cache the new version on Google servers.


The problem with most of the ad formats is that they won’t display on anything larger than a mobile device. I used the fixed 300×250 format. You can view the source if you’d like.

Googles AdSense auto ads work on the desktop. The experimental AMP version works on mobile but not on the desktop. I probably still won’t be able to use it when it’s no longer in beta.

Matched content ads work on the desktop but not on mobile. I can finagle it on mobile with an AMP ad format but it won’t look right on the desktop (300×1200). I’m using a related posts plugin for the time being.


RT Cunningham
April 2, 2018
Web Development