RT Cunningham


This Error Page on Chromium-based Web Browsers Does Not Make Sense

error page I need some help. Someone, anyone, please test my comment form. The form processes but I get an error page displaying in my web browser, currently Vivaldi. What’s odd is that the PHP file processes before the error page displays and the comment goes through.

It doesn’t happen with Firefox and some other web browsers I’ve tested. The error page appears with Chromium, Google Chrome and Vivaldi (all Chromium-based), all fresh installations. I can’t test with Safari or Internet Explorer, of course, because I’m using Linux.

An Error Page for My Troubles?

When it comes to configuration files and programming in PHP, I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I know what I’m doing.

It took me two days (almost constantly during waking hours) to get everything done. I grabbed most of the comments from Disqus and added them as native comments to the corresponding articles. After I created the forms, I wrote the PHP scripts to process them.

Frankly, I’m stumped. I checked the Nginx web server configuration files and everything’s in order. It’s quite possible the error page has nothing to do with the web browser.

Possible DNS and/or Connection Issues

I don’t have the greatest DSL service in the world. Couple that with the number of people leaching WiFi connections from it, and my laptop connection gets flaky. I’ve had problems with DNS in the past.

There was a time when I still had WordPress online and I couldn’t login the normal way. The web browser kept downloading the PHP page no matter what I tried. Some things are persistent and not in a good way.

I’m thinking I had an error at some point and it’s now persistent enough that I can’t make it go away. It’s possible it’s something cached on the server, though I don’t know what it could be. The nuclear option is rebooting the server, which I have to do periodically anyway. I keep the kernel up-to-date.

But before I do that (since it might not solve the problem)…

Please Test the Comment Form

Any comment will suffice. I just want you to fill out the form, tell me what web browser you’re using and click the button. Whether you get the error page or not, please post a follow-up comment to let me know.

I don’t want to go back to using Disqus or Formspree. I’m trying to get away from as many third-party services as I can. I’ll go back to Formspree (and use it for comments as well as the contact form) if it’s the only way to get rid of the error page. I don’t get 1,000 contact messages or comments in any given month, so I’m sure I’d be okay for a while.

On another note, I’m thinking about using HelioHost. It’s free and it supports PHP. I’ll have to test a few things before doing anything important there.

I’m concerned about the visitor experience. That’s why I put as much effort as possible in most of the things I do.

Mistaken Fix

I looked to see what my web traffic was like and since it was a slow period, I rebooted the server. The error page still reappeared after that. The nuclear option did not work.

At first, I thought it worked. But then I found out I had tested, after the fact, on my local setup instead of the server. A big duh on my part. So… I’ll have to find another solution.

The Real Fix

Several hours and some sleep later, I found the cause. A Facebook friend did a network dump and sent it to me and I read it when I woke up. The “add_header X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN;” was the culprit. I had a colon after “Options” and Chrome choked on it. I don’t understand why the error page didn’t come up for every page. It only reared it’s ugly head when processing a form.

Share: Facebook | Twitter

By RT Cunningham
September 17, 2017
Web Development

My Other Sites:

Coffee Corner

Linux Lines