1989 - The 10th and Final Year of the Crazy Eighties
According to the 1989 page at Wikipedia, the internet first became commercially available that year. Or at least, the first internet service providers and the worldwide web came into existence that year. I don’t know about all that, but I had a hard time finding a provider in 1994. I’m sure that was mainly because most people didn’t have a clue back then.
Happenings in 1989
- George H.W. Bush was sworn in as the 41st President of the United States.
- Army General Colin Powell became the first Black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Patrick Edward Purdy killed five children, wounded thirty-two others and then shot himself in the head at Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, California.
- Florida executed Ted Bundy, a serial killer.
- Tim Berners-Lee created the blueprint for the Worldwide Web.
- Oliver North was convicted on charges related to the Iran-Contra affair. His conviction was thrown out on appeal in 1991.
- A federal grand jury indicted Cornell University student Robert Tappan Morris for releasing a computer virus, making him the first person to be prosecuted under the 1986 Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
A lot more happened in the 1980s than I can remember and I’m only focusing on what I remember. I’m also only focusing on United States events.
Movies Released in 1989
I don’t like repeating what I’ve previously written, so here’s the list of what I can remember.
- Back to the Future Part II
- Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
- Field of Dreams
- Ghostbusters II
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
- Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
- Lethal Weapon 2
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- The Abyss
- The ‘Burbs
- Weekend at Bernie’s
I can’t tell you if I watched the previous or subsequent seasons of what I list here, if that even applies. I’m probably repeating previous years somewhere in this list.
- Alien Nation
- Family Matters
- Full House
- Quantum Leap
- Saved by the Bell
- The Simpsons
- Who’s the Boss?
I can honestly say I didn’t watch every episode, not even when the repeats were aired.
Music Released in 1989
Even though 1989 officially marked the end of the 1980s, I didn’t just suddenly stop listening to music. My collection spans music from the 1960s through today.
- 38 Special - Second Chance
- Anita Baker - Giving You the Best That I Got
- Bad English - When I See You Smile
- Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
- Bon Jovi - I’ll Be There for You
- Boy Meets Girl - Waiting for a Star to Fall
- Breathe - How Can I Fall?
- Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time
- Chicago - Look Away
- Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes
- Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
- Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians - What I Am
- Fine Young Cannibals - Good Thing & She Drives Me Crazy
- Gloria Estefan - Don’t Wanna Lose You
- Guns N’ Roses - Patience & Welcome to the Jungle
- Jeff Healey Band - Angel Eyes
- Karyn White - The Way You Love Me
- Madonna - Cherish, Express Yourself & Like a Prayer
- Martika - Toy Soldiers
- Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
- Mike + the Mechanics - The Living Years
- Milli Vanilli - Baby Don’t Forget My Number, Blame It On The Rain, Girl I’m Gonna Miss You & Girl You Know It’s True
- Natalie Cole - Miss You Like Crazy
- Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted, Forever Your Girl & Straight Up
- Phil Collins - Two Hearts
- Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
- R.E.M. - Stand
- Richard Marx - Right Hear Waiting
- Roxette - Listen to Your Heart & The Look
- Simply Red - If You Don’t Know Me By Now
- Taylor Dayne - Don’t Rush Me
- Tears For Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love
- The B52’s - Love Shack
- The Bangles - Eternal Flame
- The Cure - Love Song
- Tone Loc - Funky Cold Media & Wild Thing
- When In Rome - The Promise
- Will To Power - Baby, I Love Your Way / Freebird
For each year of the crazy eighties, I relied mostly on memory. I cheated, of course, using other lists to refresh my memory. Still, I’m sure I left out important events, movies, television shows and music titles. I’m sorry if I’ve left out anything you like (or liked), for whatever reason.
Share: Facebook | Twitter
By RT Cunningham
November 24, 2019