1988 - The Ninth Year of the Crazy Eighties - My Second Favorite Year
1988 is my second favorite year of the decade. I spent the first half of the year on Okinawa, with at least three of the months shared with my wife, Josie. Sometime in the middle of the year, I was transferred to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
I tried to stay on Okinawa longer, attempting to get my tour converted from one year to three years. The powers that be were having none of that - my request was denied. I really liked living on Okinawa and I knew I wouldn’t like living in North Carolina. When I started going on deployments the following year, I really didn’t like North Carolina.
Happenings in 1988
Once again, I don’t remember much from 1988. I was far busier with work than I should have been.
- Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North and Vice Admiral John Poindexter were indicted on conspiracy charges in connection with the Iran-Contra Affair. I remember watching the hearing for days.
- The first internet worm, the Morris Worm, was launched from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- George H.W. Bush, the Vice President of the United States, was elected as the President of the United States.
- Tim Berners-Lee of CERN started openly discussing what would become the World Wide Web.
- A drought and heat wave affected multiple states.
Movies Released in 1988
I don’t remember going to a single theater in 1988 (or 1987 for that matter). Josie and I never seemed to have enough money to go out for any reason. When I wasn’t working, I spent most of my time at home.
- A Fish Called Wanda
- Child’s Play
- Coming to America
- Crocodile Dundee II
- Die Hard
- Evil Dead 2
- Rain Man
- Rambo III
- Red Heat
- The Naked Gun
- They Live
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- Working Girl
When you spend most of your time at home, you tend to watch a lot of television. Unfortunately, I worked longer hours than usual and I can hardly remember any of the TV series from that year.
- A Different World
- Knots Landing
- The Cosby Show
- The Wonder Years
Music Released in 1988
- Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth
- Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car
- Bobby McFerrin - Don’t Worry, Be Happy
- Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine
- Breathe - Hands to Heaven
- Def Leppard - Love Bites & Pour Some Sugar On Me
- Elton John - Candle In the Wind & I Don’t Wanna Go On With You Like That
- Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes & Make Me Lose Control
- Foreigner - I Don’t Want to Live Without You & Say You Will
- Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine - 1-2-3 & Anything for You
- Guns N’ Roses - Sweet Child O’ Mine
- Information Society - What’s On Your Mind (Pure Energy)
- INXS - Need You Tonight, Never Tear Us Apart & New Sensation
- Jets - Make It Real
- John Mellencamp - Cherry Bomb
- Johnny Hates Jazz - Shattered Dreams
- Michael Jackson - Man In the Mirror
- Patrick Swayze - She’s Like the Wind
- Richard Marx - Hold On to the Nights, Endless Summer Nights, Hold On to the Nights & Should’ve Known Better
- Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up & Together Forever
- Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible
- Steve Windwood - Don’t You Know What the Night Can Do, Roll With It & Valerie
- Taylor Dayne - I’ll Always Love You & Tell It to My Heart
- The Flame - Cheap Trick
- Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
- UB40 - Red, Red Wine
- Whitesnake - Is This Love
- Whitney Houston - So Emotional & Where Do Broken Hearts Go
A Year to Go
I have probably forgotten more than I can remember. Some things that happened in the eighties still bother me today. For example, I had no idea that the newly elected president would send me to war two years later.
Share: Facebook | Twitter
By RT Cunningham
October 29, 2019