1986 - The Seventh Year of the Crazy Eighties - Bad Things
Other than a trip to the Philippines, I can’t remember much of 1986. Well, other than what I watched on TV.
In February, Josie (my wife) and I were glued to CNN Headline News when the People Power Revolution unfolded. Also known as the EDSA Revolution, it ousted President Marcos, who was then exiled in Hawaii.
In April, my wife (Josie) and I went to the Philippines to retrieve my stepson, who I later adopted. While we were at it, we had our younger son (Jon) christened as a Catholic at a beach party in Olongapo.
Happenings in 1986
I have to be careful not to mention the things happening outside the United States. In the eighties, there was a lot of things happening in other places that didn’t really affect us.
- The Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrated 73 seconds after launch, killing everyone on board. This was the first of two disasters, the other being in 2003 with Space Shuttle Columbia.
- The first PC virus, “Brain”, started to spread.
- Halley’s Comet reached its closest point to the Sun during its second visit to the solar system in the 20th century.
- The Microsoft Corporation held its IPO (initial public offering) of stock shares. I could have been rich!
- More than 5 million people held hands, in an event known as “Hands Across America”, from New York City to Long Beach, California. They raised money for the hungry and the homeless.
- Jonathan Pollard, a former intelligence analyst, was found guilty of sharing top-secret military information with Israel. Sound familiar? He was incarcerated from 1987 to 2015.
- United States Postal Service employee Patrick Sherrill gunned down 14 of his co-workers before committing suicide in Oklahoma. This is where the term “going postal” came from.
- Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North and company of the National Security Council were implicated in the Iran-Contra Affair. Oliver North stood trial in 1988. All the charges were dismissed in 1991.
- The Statue of Liberty was reopened to the public after being closed for restoration in 1984.
Movies Released in 1986
I may sound like a broken record because I don’t remember watching one movie at any theater.
- Big Trouble in Little China (still one of my favorites movies of all time)
- Crocodile Dundee
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Flight of the Navigator
- The Fly
- The Golden Child
- Heartbreak Ridge
- Howard the Duck
- Iron Eagle
- The Karate Kid Part II
- Maximum Overdrive
- The Money Pit
- Short Circuit
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Top Gun
Another broken record. I don’t remember much of anything as far as regular broadcast TV goes. I believe the channel selector was stuck on MTV or HBO most of the time. When it wasn’t, I remember seeing at least some of these (many because I just happened to be there while Josie was watching):
- The A-Team
- The Cosby Show
- Diff’rent Strokes
- The Facts of Life
- Family Ties
- Growing Pains
- Knight Rider
- Miami Vice
Music Released in 1986
- Atlantic Starr - Secret Lovers
- Bananarama - Venus
- Bangles - Manic Monday
- Belinda Carlisle - Mad About You
- Berlin - Take My Breath Away
- Billy Ocean - There’ll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry) and When the Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going
- Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name
- Boston - Amanda
- Cyndi Lauper - True Colors
- Dream Academy - Life in a Northern Town
- Eddie Murphy - Party All The Time
- Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight
- El Debarge - Who’s Johnny
- Elton John - Nikita
- Genesis - Invisible Touch
- Glass Tiger - Don’t Forget Me (When I’m Gone)
- Heart - Never and These Dreams
- Howard Jones - No One Is to Blame
- Huey Lewis and The News - Stuck With You
- INX - What You Need
- Jets - Crush On You
- John Cougar Mellencamp - Small Town
- Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
- Klymaxx - I Miss You
- Level 42 - Something About You
- Lionel Richie - Dancing On the Ceiling and Say You, Say Me
- Madonna - Live to Tell and Papa Don’t Preach
- Miami Sound Machine - Bad Boy, Conga and Words Get In the Way
- Mike + The Mechanics - All I Need Is A Miracle and Silent Running
- Moody Blues - Your Wildest Dreams
- Mr. Mister - Broken Wings and Kyrie
- OMD - If You Leave
- Outfield - Your Love
- Paul McCartney - Spies Like Us
- Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
- Peter Cetera - Glory of Love
- Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
- Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love and I Didn’t Mean to Turn You On
- Simple Minds - Alive and Kicking
- Simply Red - Holding Back The Years
- Starship - Sara
- Steve Windwood - Higher Love
- Toto - I’ll Be Over You
- Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All and How Will I Know
I’m sure there were many more that I just didn’t hear.
Not a Good Year and Not a Bad Year
Other than what I mentioned in the introductory paragraphs, I don’t remember a heck of a whole lot. I was in the military and I worked at least five days a week, so I probably shouldn’t remember a whole lot.
Share: Facebook | Twitter
By RT Cunningham
September 26, 2019