1982 - The Third Year of the Crazy Eighties - Memories Are Us
What stands out in my memories of 1982 is that I was transferred from one duty station to another after little more than a year. If I had been married at the time, uprooting my family would have been upsetting.
What I didn’t like was being transferred to Hawaii. Although it was an island other than the one I lived on in the 1970s, my high school memories were still fresh in my mind. It had only been five years and things don’t change quickly enough.
Happenings in 1982
Most of the happenings of 1982 occurred in places outside of the United States.
- The Commodore 64 8-bit home computer was launched by Commodore International in Las Vegas. It became the all-time best-selling single personal computer model in American history.
- The first computer virus, the Elk Cloner, written by 15-year old Rich Skrenta, was found. It infected Apple II computers with a floppy disk.
- Sony launched the first consumer compact disc (CD) player.
- The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated in Washington, D.C.
- A multinational force arrived in Beirut, Lebanon to oversee the PLO withdrawal from the country. The multinational force included U.S. Marines.
Movies Released in 1982
I’ll be honest and admit that I watched all of these on cable television (or rented VHS tapes) and it wasn’t in 1982.
- 48 Hrs.
- An Officer and a Gentleman
- Blade Runner
- Conan the Barbarian
- Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- First Blood (the first Rambo movie)
- Rocky III
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Swamp Thing
- The Thing
Those weren’t the only good movies released in 1982, but they’re the only ones I remember watching.
When I was assigned to the Yuma air station, I almost stopped watching television completely. I watched very little after arriving in Hawaii. The only series I really remember is “Remington Steele”.
Music Released in 1982
I heard most of this music on a video jukebox in the enlisted club on the base in Hawaii. I’m sure I heard some of it on one radio or another.
- Billy Idol - Hot In the City
- Chicago - Hard to Say I’m Sorry
- Daryl Hall and John Oates - I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do)
- A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
- Foreigner - Waiting for a Girl Like You
- The Go-Go’s - Vacation
- The Human League - Don’t You Want Me
- Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - I Love Rock ‘N Roll
- Journey - Don’t Stop Believin’
- Laura Branigan - Gloria
- Loverboy - Working for the Weekend
- Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now?
- Olivia Newton-John - Physical
- Quarterflash - Harden My Heart
- The Rolling Stones - Waiting On a Friend
- Soft Cell - Tainted Love
- Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
- Toto - Rosanna
There was much more music than I listed. I simply can’t list everything or I would be here all day.
Again, Mostly a Blur
I’m surprised I don’t remember more about the year of 1982. I guess it’s true that you remember things that are important to you, or things that traumatized you in one way or another. There is very little I remember of my off-duty hours.
August 4, 2019 8:00 pm