Getting a Permanent Resident Visa for the Philippines

You can start the process of getting a permanent resident visa in your own country if there’s a Philippine Consulate there (there are six in the US and two in US territories). You can also start the process while in the Philippines on a temporary visa. There are requirements you can’t avoid. You must be married to a Filipino. It doesn’t matter if that Filipino is a dual citizen or not. You must have a source of income that doesn’t rely on the local economy. A foreigner has the last precedence for employment in the Philippines, below the uneducated. You must have a passport. I’m going to focus on getting a permanent resident visa as an American because I’m an American.

Philippine Consulates in the US and US Territories

You can find the addresses and phone numbers at the Philippine Embassy’s consular finder page. They’re located in:

  • Los Angeles, California
  • San Francisco, California
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Washington, DC
  • New York, New York
  • Honolulu, Hawaii
  • Agana, Guam
  • Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands

The consulates have their own websites and it’s wise to get up to date information from the one that’s closest to you.

Getting a Temporary Visa

If you have a round-trip ticket to leave the Philippines within 30 days, you can enter and exit the Philippines with only a US passport. If you need to stay beyond 30 days, you can get a temporary visa at the Philippine Bureau of Immigration office closest to you.

You can get a temporary visa at any of the Philippine consulates in the US. I received one good for a year at the consulate in Los Angeles a few months before I left the US.

Permanent Resident Visa Requirements

Permanent resident visas are listed as non-quota immigrant visas on the consulate websites, so searching for the details can be a pain. You can find the the requirements for non-quota immigrant visas at the Los Angeles consulate’s website.

To break it down for you, you need to be married to a Filipino or a dual American/Filipino citizen and your spouse has to sign an affidavit requesting it for you. You need to be financially secure. You have to be healthy. There are other requirements and you really need to read them at the link I provided.

The fee for the permanent resident visa is separate from the card you also have to pay for – the ACR I-Card. While the visa never has to be renewed, the card has to be renewed after one year and then every five years and you can only do that at the main bureau of immigration office in Manila.

Every year before the end of February, you have to pay a small fee as part of your annual registration at the local bureau of immigration office. The last fee I paid was 310 pesos (around $8 USD). Your US passport must be valid at all times and you can renew it at the US Embassy in Manila.


The permanent resident fee is $150 USD or the equivalent in pesos. The ACR I-Card is $50 or the equivalent in pesos.

There are a lot of “little” costs that can add up, not to mention fuel and toll fees. You can probably get everything done for less than $500 USD. I always recommend setting aside $1000 USD, just in case there are fees I don’t know about or other added costs.


Enter your e-mail address to receive new articles as I post them.